This week marked the 10th Anniversary of Barack Obama signing the Affordable Care Act into law. Even though he has tried and failed to repeal it, Donald J. Trump relies heavily on ACA especially during this pandemic. Here’s a quick list of some of the ways ACA is saving lives and protecting Americans:
- Essential Health Benefits: prescription drugs and hospitalization. Coronavirus testing and treatment are essential health benefits and must be covered by all ACA-compliant plans.
- Preexisting Conditions: anyone who contracts COVID-19 won’t be subject to future discrimination.
- Expansion: more than 20 million Americans gained health coverage. People with insurance are much more likely to see a doctor when they are sick and to get the treatment they need.
- Created CDC Prevention and Public Health Fund: helps states prepare for disease outbreaks.
- Key Support for Rural Hospitals: between 2013 and 2015, hospitals’ uncompensated care costs decreased by $12 billion, or roughly 30 percent. As hospitals prepare for an influx in coronavirus patients, it is critical that they are paid for the treatment they provide.
Thank you Mr. President, Barack Obama. The ACA’s impact is prevalent now more than ever. We applaud you for your work in saving American lives not just during your term, but, for decades to come after.